Whether you work from home (or not), your desk is where you create. Why not make it special. It doesn't matter if you have a proper desk, or just a table, you can claim a small area of a room and make it your own. Here are a few ideas you can use to start your project this weekend.
- Cover and old table with a pretty cloth. Even a sheet of landscaping burlap (sold by the yard at your local nursery) can do the trick. If you're feeling especially inspired. Paint the table and gather your other supplies while it dries. (Find burlap online here.)
- Personalize the top of your desk or table with a collage of photographs, inspirational quotes, or decorative paper (newspaper, magazine covers, wallpaper), then cover with glass. Glass can be cut to fit any size surface.
- Top your desk or table with a decorative tray to corral reading and writing materials. If you want to work someplace else, simply grab the tray and you'll already have everything you need.
- Place a pretty, but functional, lamp to one side. Halogen light is always a great light to work and read by. (Find some here, here, and here.)
- Place coordinating pens and pencils in a silver mint julep cup, an etched dessert glass, a tea tin, or terracotta pot depending on your own particular style. (Here is a nice collection of silver cups here.)
- Treat yourself to a few personalized notepads or cards. (Here is a collection of items from formal to informal here, here, here, and here.)
- Add something personal that you can look at again and again. Flowers, framed photos, or a glass paperweight won't take up much room, but will add a bit of style to your desk.
- Use closed baskets or boxes to hold necessities nearby but out of the way.
Image via housebeautiful.com