February 8, 2011

Staying Motivated

If the view outside of your window looks like mine then you may feel like hibernating for the rest of the winter. Mr. Groundhog has assured us that we will see an early spring, but for those of us who have piles of snow lining our walkways, well… that’s little consolation. This time of year it can be especially hard to stay motivated, so this weekend I decided to try and change my attitude since I couldn’t do anything about changing the weather.
The target: my office. Thankfully I had the foresight to paint the walls a warm green a few years ago so there was no need for any big changes. (Green is one of my favorite colors, but I wasn’t thinking that the color would remind me of greener days ahead when my world would be blanketed in white. A nice little bonus.) I had gotten rid of piles of paper and spent a good deal of time re-filing the rest – the only thing left to do was thin out the bookcase and surround myself with inspiration. New books, with new topics, were placed on the shelves. I changed out some accessories and added mercury glass candle holders to brighten my mood. Finally, I replaced a piece of art with a decorative bulletin board from my studio.

That’s when the real fun began. It’s still a work in progress, but this new board is meant to reflect what I’m doing now. Heart-felt notes, words of wisdom, and a few of my old magazine columns now greet me each day.
I know how important it is to surround yourself with the things that you love, I just had to get snowed in to remind me.

0 comments: