September 16, 2014

Fall Nesting

As I was unpacking my fall decorations, it struck me just how many times I'll take the same items and reinvent them again and again. Books are a decorators best friend, so there's always a pile of those lying around. I have several baskets of every shape and size, dishes, vases, and vessels of every kind to hold just about anything. To add a bit of fall to your home décor, simply gather a variety of organic materialsboth faux and realand have fun playing.

I stacked a few books, topped them with a square dish and then added a couple of faux over-sized acorns. My copper-handled tureen holds everything from flowers to Christmas ornaments. This year I decided to line it with faux laurel leaves and then fill it with real hazelnuts. You could use Spanish moss, dried maple leaves...just about anything. And a bag full of hazelnuts is just a grocery store run away.

I hang this 3' long basket on an interior door, but I brought it outside because it photographed better. This basket is filled with tulips in the spring, pine boughs in the winter. For fall, I've collected a good amount of berry branches, twigs, and grasses to mix together. The key is to pay attention to color, texture, depth, and height. The majority of materials should be gathered at the mouth of the basket. Mix the colors and textures to balance the arrangement. Anything free-flowing, like branches, should reach for the sky. Tuck and twist until you get the look you want.

You may also like...
Fall Mood Board
Fall Home
DIY Fall (Door) Decoration
Black and Brown

0 comments: