August 13, 2010

What's For Supper?

Have you been drooling over all of the fresh produce at your local famers' market? I certainly have. My family can't get enough berries for the fruit shakes we all love, and I can't get enough tomatoes! I could easily live on a Mediterranean diet, with tomatoes and olive oil leading the way.

If you plan to hit the farmers' market or pull a tomato or two out of your garden this weekend, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite recipes with you.

Spicy Tomato Soup

2 cans whole tomatoes with basil or 10 fresh tomatoes
1 quart chicken stock
1 1/2 cups sweet onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons basil

Saute onions in oil until soft, add garlic, red pepper, black pepper and salt until mixed. Coarsely chop the tomatoes. (I like a chunky soup, but you can process them any way you like.) Combine all of the ingredients together and finish with thyme, basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to taste.

Tomato Shooters (Cocktail)

Prepare individual shooters by placing a cherry tomato on a cocktail stick, followed by a bite-sized ball of mozzarella cheese and a sprig of basil. Place this in a glass and drizzle with a good extra virgin olive oil.
You can also use an herb-infused oil if you'd like.

If it's too hot in the kitchen, try this cold tomato soup from one of my favorite cooking shows.

Image via flickr.com

2 comments:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

So with you about fresh tomatoes...they make for the best bruschetta in summer. Have a lovely weekend, Kimberley.

Kimberly Merritt said...

That they do. Nice to hear from you Will. :o)