October 29, 2010

Happy Halloween

Yes, I am a bit nutty when it comes to holidays, and here's your proof. This is just a small area of my living room that has been decorated in what I like to call macabre-chic! Each year I use the same decorations, but I sometimes switch out the way I display something or mix and match until I get the look I want. Almost everything you see was purchased on the cheap and I did not spend more than $5 on any one item. I can't remember where I scored the foam skull head, but I haven't been able to duplicate it since. The skeleton garland was purchased at CVS years ago, and the crows came from a local costume store. I framed an old herb print straight from the internet... I wonder what this motley crew will cook up!

I find that a nice layer of dust gives the whole thing a more authentic feel, so I am feather duster free the week before. (:o) Here is a close-up of the skull, and a trio of books Mr. Crow and a certain baby skeleton have claimed!

I keep with a theme - crows, skeletons and spiders - and use the same materials in each display. I thought one of the crows made a nice lamp finial, so I stuck him up there so he could keep an eye on things for me. So far so good.

My youngest daughter is having a party this weekend, so I still have to decorate the dining table, but my costumes are just about done. As of today (ahem) my youngest is trick-or-treating as a Greek Goddess and my oldest as a Witch. It should be a good time.

Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Wendy Wrzos said...

Love your decorations, Kim! Nice to see a sophisticated alternative for Halloween!

Juniper said...

happy Halloween! : )

Kimberly Merritt said...

Thank you ladies. Check out my facebook page for more ideas for next Halloween!