March 2, 2011

Vintage: Bringing Back Game Night

Last week, my dearest friend and her two boys came for a visit. While we were chatting in another room, the four children (ages 10-15) broke out a board game while the television sat blissfully silent. For years, Taboo was dusted off and played after Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-law's house. Picture twenty-odd (read: competitive, loud) people separated into groups of three... well, it was never boring. Then there was the ice storm of 2008 when we lost power for 10 days. The four of us played so many games of Dominoes that I don't think we've cracked open the tin since. That's okay, the beauty behind Game Night is that you can mix it up.

If more people are staying home and entertaining these days, the usual dinner party shuffle can start to get boring. There's no need to get fancy and there's no need to cook a big meal (okay, maybe a snack), just invite your friends and family over to enjoy a civilized night of fun. From classic board games, to something a little more interactive like Charades, to card games like Shanghai, you'll never run out of choices. Keep it sassy and make it "ladies only" (a spin on the all-male poker night), adults vs. children, or play a game that will take several rounds or nights to complete. Before the big night, email everyone the rules so they'll be ready to play.

I plan to seek out an old-fashioned game that I can introduce to my family during our vacation this summer just to shake things up. Do you think the kids will like Bridge???

3 comments:

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Kimberly,
THis is a fantastic idea. Great minds must think alike, because my Honey and I just purchased Monopoly over the weekend - we don't watch alot of tv, so it was his brain storm to get it. We're making time this weekend for our first show-down with the game!! lol.
Hope all is well with you. I owe you an email.
à bientôt,
Mimi

Wendy Wrzos said...

Glad to see you back, Kim, always enjoy your posts! I love the older games like dominoes and scrabble but I often forget to play them. My daughter and I play card games before bed (easy, modern ones like Sleeping Queens and Rat-a-tat-cat). It is a nice way to end the night.

Kimberly Merritt said...

Have fun with Monopoly Mimi. I can't even begin to remember how many games I've played over the years with my children.

Sleeping Queens and Rat-a-tat-cat sound very interesting Wendy. I'll have to look into that. I prefer card games to board games myself.