November 11, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

When I was in my Jr. High home economics class, I learned how to make pumpkin bread. I brought the recipe home and made some for my family, and my Dad was hooked. From then on in, I had to make pumpkin bread at least every Thanksgiving (and Christmas and Easter). When my parents moved to Florida some years back and we no longer spent holidays together, I've surprised my Dad with a loaf or two in the summer, just because.

That particular recipe has since disappeared, but I found a good substitute that I have adapted as my own. Here it is.

Pumpkin Bread

2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 and 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 16-oz. can of pumpkin
2/3 cup water
3 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 and a 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
Cinnamon for dusting

1. Grease two loaf pans. (I use Pam) and heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix shortening and sugar together in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs, pumpkin, and water.
4. Blend in flour and other dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly, but don't over mix.
5. Pour batter into the two loaf pans and dust with cinnamon.

Bake at 350 for about one hour.

0 comments: