April 11, 2013

Pizza!

What is it about the combination of bread, tomato sauce, cheese and toppings of whatever-you-can-think-of turn into one of the yummiest foods you can eat? Pizza has always had me at hello. Unfortunately (or maybe that's fortunately for my waistline), my little country hamlet doesn't have one pizza place worth ordering from. Can you hear me out there? Can't someone make a decent pie in this town? No, I have to get my pizza fix when I go home, whether that's to Boston or the south shore. I've tried to make it myself with little success, but these recipes have me thinking I might actually be able to do this.

So without further adieu... here is the recipe for that delicious-looking pie in the photo, and a few more (47 to be exact) from dear Martha.

Heirloom Tomato Pizza
                        

  • 1 cup heirloom tomatoes (any combination of halved cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced medium tomatoes)       
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 3 to 4 ounces Pecorino Pepato cheese, thinly sliced
  • 1 round Chris Bianco's Pizza Dough
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 7 thin slices pancetta
  • 1/4 cup torn fresh basil

  • I found this simple dough recipe from My Baking Addiction instead of using the one listed above. (She also has some great pizza recipes, too.)
    1. Combine tomatoes and oil, and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 1 hour.
    2. Arrange cheese evenly over dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with the tomatoes, oregano, and pancetta.
    3. Bake at 475 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes (on a pizza stone if you have it.). Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with basil.
    Enjoy!

    0 comments: