May 9, 2013

The Perfect Mother's Day

Whenever my children asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day, I always responded with, "Peace and quiet". Why? Three kids, two dogs, and a husband who makes just as much mess and noise as the rest of them was reason enough. But I find that I really don't want peace or quiet these days. I want to be surrounded by my familythe mess and the noise, too.

My day would start with a breakfast I normally wouldn't treat myself to; something sinful and delicious (like my grandmother's banana bread muffins). I would read hand-made cards filled with vibrant marker-colored words and cute little stickers even though my children have graduated way beyond the crayon stage of their lives. And then I would simply enjoy their company. I want to hear stories, be asked questions, and bask in the sunshine on the back porch while we laugh until we can't laugh any more. I want to hold on to the day and have it stretch into the next.

Mother's Day is just another day that reminds me of how lucky I am.

My grandmother passed down this recipe to my mom, and she passed it down to me. I know I've featured it before, but this recipe bears repeating...

My Grandma's Banana Bread (Muffins)

2 large or 3 small ripe bananas (The riper the better.)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco)
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. real vanilla extract

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add liquid ingredients (eggs, vanilla, and shortening) one at a time incorporating the ingredients together as you go. Add the bananas and mix until combined, but don't over mix. Fill muffin tins three quarters full and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-30 minutes, or bake into bread and cook for 1 hour. Optional: Add fresh blueberries. Or top them with blueberry jam. Or raspberry, or...

This post was written for the Nerdwallet Mother's Day Your Way contest. To enter the contest yourself, check out Mother's Day Your Way.

Thank you Nerdwallet for selecting this post as an honorable mention!

1 comments:

Kimberly Merritt said...

This comment has been removed by the author.