December 18, 2013

Dear Santa

Don't you just love this jolly old fellow? If you've followed my Christmas posts in the past, he probably looks familiar. A friend of mine had an old painting of Saint Nick that everyone admired. She had several oils reproduced by a friend of hers and gifted one to me. My mother, who also loves Christmas, had to have one as well, and she took both of our canvases to get framed. This painting hangs proudly in my family room every Christmas.

Christmas is certainly much more than Santa Claus. But to me, he represents that happy childhood feeling that makes Christmas even more special than it already is. I can still remember writing my letters to Santaso excited to think that he would read mine, and that all my dreams would come true. I still believe.

Well, Santa...I'd like to write a different kind of letter now.

Dear Santa,

Who knew that when I grew up I would have the three children I asked for? I guess you did. Who knew that I would meet the man of my dreams and that we would literally build a life together so full of love? You again? And who knew that those three children would turn out to be such caring, loving, funny, and kind people. I'm guessing you did. Motherhood is the single best decision I have ever made in my life and I thank you for giving me this amazing gift.

Thank you Santa for filling my childhood with great wonder and joy. Thank you for making me believe that good always triumphs over evil, and that even though the good guy might not always win, it's still worth trying for. Thank you for making me realize that the traditions I grew up with should be passed down to my own family. They have made our lives that much richer.

Thank you for giving me the gift of time with my children. If I could ask for only one thing, it would be more of the same. Please continue to fill our house with giggling girls, my sons wicked sense of humor, and smiling faces. Let our children come home as often as they'd like, whenever they'd like, for as long as they'd likeand yes, I really mean that.

Thank you for keeping the spirit of Christmas alive in me for all these years. And to steal a line from that other letter...While you're flying around the heavens, Santa, make sure God has heard these prayers of thanks, I think he's partially responsible, too.

(Read this sweet letter from a father about his son.)

Update: If you would like to write your own letter to Santa, here is the address: Santa Claus @ 325 S. Santa Claus Lane, North Pole, Alaska 99705. Thanks, Wendy!

0 comments: