October 1, 2015

It's October!

October is hands down one of my favorite months. I love the cooler air, the clothing, the smell of wood smoke, pumpkins, mums, Halloween, the color of the leaves, just about everything. It's not too cold, not too warmit's just about perfection to me.

Do you have any favorite things you love to do this month? I make lots of cold-weather inspired dishes (before I get bored with making them) and I love to cozy up the house with fall decorations. I layer in more blankets, pillows, and accessories indoors, while I primp my porch with cornstalks, mums, pumpkins and the usual fall fare.

Here are some activities to inspire you to celebrate fall and the glorious month of October!
  • Find a fall festival. At The Farmer's Daughter, in Kingston RI, they're hosting a Harvest Festival complete with pony rides, scarecrow making, hayrides, and almost anything to do with a pumpkin. I highly recommend that you visit this beautiful garden center. (The photo above is of their beautifully decorated chandelier located in the shop.)
  • Drive through your neighborhood, your town, neighboring towns, or hit the road and go even farther to take in the scenery. That's how I've found all of my favorite haunts. Get lost for a while and don't forget to bring your camera!
  • I'll be baking this weekend and I always bake extra apple pies for my sweet neighbors. Why not do the same. It doesn't take much to double a recipe and it will be much appreciated. (I'm making pumpkin bread too.)
  • Get outside as often as you can and enjoy the fresh air. We're so busy working and doing that we forget to breathe. Get up a little earlier in the day and take a brisk walk outside, eat a meal outdoors, or set your chair in the sun and enjoy a good book. David and I plan to spend an entire day outdoors. We're going to eat and play all day and only go inside when we have to. No technology, just the sounds of nature and the dogs!
  • Buy some pumpkin tea. I just bought a tin of Harney & Sons Pumpkin Spice herbal tea and I'm in love. I've been drinking it every morning and it just tastes like fall. Combine it with a bag of Hot Cinnamon Spice and you have quite a treat! (You can also find them at Barnes & Noble cafés.)
  • Start to unpack your scarves and buy a few new larger ones to dress up an outfit. They're great to toss in a bag to ward off a chill. I keep several large stoles stashed around the house so I can pick one up at will. One of my favorites is orange!
  • Go un-trick-or-treating. Mourning the loss of one of our beloved family adventures (our town goes all out for this holiday!), last year the four of us walked up and down Halloween Street, as they affectionately call it, and just enjoyed watching the children and their parents have fun. And yes, we dressed up!
  • Visit Salem! And really get into the spirit of Halloween. There are lots of places that hold haunted tours. Amanda's school gets in on the action and we're finding lots of interesting places in and around RI that sound rather spooky. After all, it is the birthplace of those wacky Ghost Hunters! (Check out my Halloween Pinterest board for more inspiration.)
  • Buy an electric blanket! Amanda bought me one for Christmas last year and I love it. I haven't brought it out quite yet, but soon enough I'll be snuggling underneath its warmth.
Ok, now it's your turn. What do you love to do in October?

0 comments: