January 7, 2016

Stealing Time

Last year, I embarked on my 1000 Words plan to kick my writing into high gear. Since then, many of you have contacted me letting me know that this strategy felt overwhelming at times. And I agree. If we're not given enough time to reach our goals, we often feel as though we're failing and then give up completely.

So this year, I want you to steal time instead.

Stealing time can be applied to so many things, not just writing. If you want to do something, anything, for yourself, then you're going to have to take it. Time goes by too quickly not to. Start by taking 30 minutes a day just for you. Now I'd like to think that you've already scheduled in exercise time, because I want this time to be for something extremely personal to you. And if exercise falls under that category, all the better. But if it's reading, writing, taking a nap, crafting, exploring, or anything else, it's all important.

In order to steal time, you must sacrifice something else. You may have to get up earlier than everyone in the house or stay up later. You may have to say no to people who ask you to do something. But that's okay. Taking 30-60 minutes for yourself each day is allowed and encouraged.

So if you weren't hitting that word count you were going for, don't worry about it. Simply sit and write for as long as you can then pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Stealing time, regardless of what you do, will make you a better you.

0 comments: