April 26, 2016

Blogging Isn't as Easy as it Looks

As you may have noticed, I haven't been blogging 5 days a week lately. Simply put, blogging isn't as easy as it looks. And because my blog has evolved from a design blog to a lifestyle blog to a... (I'm still defining what it is), it's become even more complicated. (I'll elaborate more on this soon.)

One of my favorite design blogs has captured how a post is brought to life quite brilliantly. Emily Henderson details every step, in text and video, here. (When you're done watching, please come back!) Now mind you, I don't have a crew of helpers, writers, photographers, or staff of any kind. But I also don't produce detailed blog content based strictly on design and the many steps it takes to come up with the final product. In fact, when I started blogging about design, I tended to skip right to the "after" never really showing my readers the "how" unless it was in the text. So that's reason number one why I don't post about design topics very often. It's time consuming. (Reason number two is because I no longer take on design work. A minor hiccup.) But the reason you do still see design and style tips pop up occasionally is simpledesign will always be a big part of my life. Just because I don't practice anymore, doesn't mean I don't still dream in color and create.

Regardless of what I have written about, or what I'll write about in the future, is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if you read about food, fashion, motherhood, or the health benefits of eating fruits and vegetables. You may read blogs because of the subject matter, but consider what it takes to produce and create the content you enjoy. Most bloggers don't get paid a thing, which makes the whole concept even more amazing. Spread a little love: share posts, comment (on the site or on social media), email the blogger a quick note. You don't have to do it every time, just once in a while, or just once!

Proceed to the next blog.


Photo: Ben Timney

2 comments:

Achrisi Gad said...

I was looking for paint colors for my rental property to make it more attractive to renters when I stumbled upon your blog. I can appreciate that it takes a lot to do it and a love a writing to make it work. Thanks for sharing and keep it up all of these years. I had considered blogging a couple of years ago and got past writing one post and notes for another when I realized that I did not have enough time or energy left after my demanding job and travel. When I have down time, I want to spend it with family and friends not writing about my experiences.

Achrisi Gad said...

I was looking for paint colors for my rental property to make it more attractive to renters when I stumbled upon your blog. I can appreciate that it takes a lot to do it and a love a writing to make it work. Thanks for sharing and keep it up all of these years. I had considered blogging a couple of years ago and got past writing one post and notes for another when I realized that I did not have enough time or energy left after my demanding job and travel. When I have down time, I want to spend it with family and friends not writing about my experiences.