February 25, 2010

Daydream Believer

Do you daydream? My parents were forever telling me to quit daydreaming. And I’m so glad I didn’t listen. How can a writer become a writer without daydreaming.

I didn’t know it at the time, but my little daydreaming escapes were the start of something wonderful. I could now envision the way something could look and feel. How can I...? What if I...? were now questions with infinite possibilities. Imagine that! And I did.

I grew up in a creative family of singers, musicians, painters, actors and writers. None of us are terribly famous mind you, but many of us have made a pretty good living using our imaginations and God-given talents.

By comparison, my girls are far more industrious and focused than I ever was at their age. A sign of the times? Perhaps. In a world filled with bigger, better, faster... I sometimes wish they would daydream more often. I am forever trying to slow down their world so they have time to just be.

I feel we all need to foster creativity in every capacity...



Images via wherethesidewalkbegins.blogspot.com and designbydelight.blogspot.com

0 comments: