February 17, 2010

Inspiration

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't benefit from gazing at one of these quiet sources of inspiration. Okay, maybe a lawyer... or an insurance salesman. But every artist (in any form) draws inspiration from the visual.

This board from designer Barbara Barry reflects her own personal style. She prefers clean lines, a simple color palette and quiet elegance - and her linen-covered board delivers just that. Let's take a peek at some other examples...

Cosmetic guru Bobbi Brown has covered several boards with fashion and beauty photos that resemble large art canvases. I created something similar back in my college days using sturdy cardboard and lots of glue! 

Julie from Shelter Interior Design covers her 'image board' from top to bottom. I like the way she included fabric and wallpaper samples into the mix.

Jennifer at Made by Girl has covered her board with wallpaper so that no matter what she chooses to display (or not display), she'll always have something pretty to look at. You can also try using fabric remnants and sheet music to personalize your board.

Laura from The Order Obsessed, likes to keep things simple and on budget. This is an actual piece of plywood attached to the wall with d-rings. Apparently cork is for sissies. Who knew? Find her complete tutorial here.

Here is a close-up.

The inspiration board in my studio is filled with notes, pictures, postcards and decorative push pins. I fell in love with its gilt frame the first time I saw it in the Ballard catalog. I knew I could probably make something similar, but sometimes a girl has to splurge. I've chosen not to fill every corner so I can change things out more easily.

This collage/inspiration board is a collection of letters and pictures, and serves as a memory keeper. You can check out the original post here.

Here is a close-up.

Some images via traditionalhome.com, shelterinteriordesign.blogspot.com, madebygirl.blogspot.com, theorderobsessed.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Memory/idea boards are such a great inspiration.

Kimberly Merritt said...

I like things neat and tidy, but a whole wall full of pictures and trinkets sounds appealing too.