April 11, 2011

The Journal Keeper

I spent this past weekend immersed in Phyllis Theroux's book, The Journal Keeper. I'm only half way through, but I was so inspired that I wanted to share it all with you.

After briefly looking over the title when it first came out, I placed it back on the shelf and kept on my merry way. Ironically, I had just started to keep a journal around that same time - years after starting, stopping and (gasp!) throwing away journals I had previously started. I thought a journal was a book filled with dark, not-so-pretty images - of life and of myself. Visions of Dear Diary, I don't know why Suzy hates me so filled my head. The last thing I wanted to do was write about my angst.

I eventually gave in and started writing down thoughts and ideas almost a year ago. I'm not fanatical about it, and sometimes I write about trivial things like the weather. Something told me I wasn't really committed to the process.

That's when I found this book again. In it she writes: "...I am not a fan of those who urge you to dump whatever comes to mind upon the page. No, no, no. Your journal should be the one wise friend who helps you create your own enlightenment. Choose what you think has some merit or lasting value, so that when you re-read your journal in years to come it continues to nourish you."

The light bulb went off. My journal could be filled with quotes, sayings, memories, quips, and yes, even the occasional complaint. A book filled with musings that if you read them, you would think you had stumbled upon a conversation with a dear friend. Or at the very least, a wacky old aunt. I am inspired once again.

This delightful read is filled with words of wisdom. Visit her website to learn more about the book and her insights about journal keeping. Click here to purchase the same journals Phyllis uses.

0 comments: