March 26, 2014

Avocados!

I can't seem to get enough avocado. I never even had an avocado until I traveled to Texas about 10 years ago and ate my first scoop of guacamole. Since then, I've made guacamole dozens of times, but when chips were no longer part of my diet, I started to use them in recipes and eat them all on their own. Although considered highly caloric, avocados are actually a very healthy food. They're filled with good fat like Omega-3 (for shiny hair and glowing skin), vitamin E (a free-radical that assists in slowing the aging process), vitamin C (an amazing antioxidant, anti-viral and anti-bacterial also good for your skin), vitamin B3 (which reduces cholesterol and prevents and treats arteriosclerosis), as has been known to help reduce the effects of depression and anxiety. So although I don't recommend eating an avocado a day, I do suggest adding it to your diet at least once a week.

A typical lunch for me would include certified organic turkey, a smashed avocado, and some almonds. On other days of the week, the avocado is replaced with a seasonal fruit or a side salad. But my favorite lunch, or even dinner, is my version of a BLT, except I've replaced the lettuce with baby spinach and add smashed avocado. My favorite brand of bacon is local and comes from North Country Smokehouse in Claremont. Check out this recipe for the BLT you see pictured above over on Pure Grace Farms.

You can sneak in bits of avocado in salads and sandwichesyou can even serve it for breakfast.

Avocado Bruschetta with Balsamic Reduction

1 baguette, thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup basil leaves, chiffonade

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place baguette slices onto prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. To make the balsamic reduction, add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a slight boil and reduce by half, about 6-8 minutes; set aside and let cool.
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, avocado, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Top each baguette slice with tomato mixture, garnished with basil.
Serve immediately, drizzled with balsamic reduction.
Recipe via Damn Delicious

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Love avocado too. Thanks for the recipes.
_Kyle

Kimberly Merritt said...

You're welcome Kyle. Avocado is on the menu today!