So why can you feel blue? Well, blue happens to be a moody color. A bright blue summer sky is going to make you feel happy, but once the blue turns a bit gray, your mood may change. So not only is the shade of blue important, but the amount of blue will have an effect as well. Which goes right back to all design elements—too much of a good thing is simply too much. Balance is the key. You also have to know that certain colors effect different people in different ways. You may love blue, while others hate it. Oftentimes, I find out that a particular shade of color determines its likeability. Blue is also a spiritual color. It's the color of authority and can suppress your appetite. Blue plate special anyone?
Green is a healing color, which is why all of the things we are trying to fix is considered going green. Green is the peacekeeper of all colors. It is the color of growth, renewal, and the environment. It calms a space a nurtures everyone who is surrounded by it. It's the color of nature, so it can go with almost any color, and most shades can be used as a neutral. But have you ever had someone say that you look green around the gills? This means you look ill or nauseated. Quite honestly, there are shades of green that really do look nauseating. Hospital green comes to mind. You know, that milky, dusty shade that shouldn't even be a color never mind seen in a hospital of all places.
And on and on it goes. Here are a few more color tidbits. After you've finished reading, leave a comment below about how a particular color effects you and I'll send you one of my eBooks for participating.
- Pink is a very calming color and has been used in prisons to soothe inmates.
- Purple is the color of royalty because the dye used to make clothing of this color was 20 times more valuable than gold!
- Yellow stimulates mental processes and the nervous system.
- Red conjures up conflicting emotions of love and hate, passion and violence. It’s also the color of joy, sexuality, sensitivity and love.
- Brown is stable, reliable, dependable and approachable. (UPS uses the color name in their advertising.) It can also be a sensual color.
- Orange encourages socialization and makes us feel bolder. You’ll gain clarity and let go of unrealistic expectations.
- Black is mysterious by evoking a sense of potential and possibility.
- Gray is associated with intellect and the brain is composed of "gray matter".
- White encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles.
Image via tumblr