3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large lemon, zested
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift and mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat together shortening, sugar, and fresh lemon juice until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continuing beating until well combined.
- Fold in the lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spray the pan of your choice with a good amount of vegetable spray. You can pour the batter into a bundt pan, 2 9" round pans, or a large loaf pan, it's up to you.
- Bake approximately 30-35 minutes. Insert a wooden toothpick to test. Let cool for 10 minutes.
2-3 pints fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sugar
- I set aside a dozen or so for garnish. Use 3 pints if you prefer more garnish.
- Sprinkle sugar over top and let set for 15 minutes and then I push the remaining raspberries through a sieve. You can use cheesecloth too. The goal is to get as much juice out without any seeds. If you don't mind the seeds, continue with this method but allow some of the seeds and fruit to push through as well.
- Add garnish and drizzle sauce over cake just before serving.