April 17, 2014

Lemon Cake with Raspberry Sauce

If I'm going to eat dessert, it's probably going to be something chocolate, but during the warmer months, I fall in love with lemons all over again. Lemon shampoo, lotion, lemon water...I can't get enough. So one day when I came across a box lemon cake in the grocery store (Betty Crocker makes a good one), I decided I would make my own and then play with some berries. I love adding blueberries to my banana muffins so I thought maybe strawberries or raspberries would pair better with lemon. I love the combination of sweet and tart the raspberries add. This is what I came up with.

Lemon Cake

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 large lemon, zested
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
vegetable spray
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Sift and mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat together shortening, sugar, and fresh lemon juice until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continuing beating until well combined.
  4. Fold in the lemon zest.
  5. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time. Do not over mix the batter.
  6. Spray the pan of your choice with a good amount of vegetable spray. You can pour the batter into a bundt pan, 2 9" round pans, or a large loaf pan, it's up to you.
  7. Bake approximately 30-35 minutes. Insert a wooden toothpick to test. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Raspberry Sauce

2-3 pints fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sugar
  1. I set aside a dozen or so for garnish. Use 3 pints if you prefer more garnish.
  2. Sprinkle sugar over top and let set for 15 minutes and then I push the remaining raspberries through a sieve. You can use cheesecloth too. The goal is to get as much juice out without any seeds. If you don't mind the seeds, continue with this method but allow some of the seeds and fruit to push through as well.
  3. Add garnish and drizzle sauce over cake just before serving.
Even better with fresh whipped cream. (I don't like mine too sweet, so if you're like me, just add the vanilla.)

0 comments: