Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 pounds of stewing beef (I used a combination of stewing beef and beef tips)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (I use Vidalia and chop it in small pieces. The choice is yours.)
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped (I often use ready-to-eat baby carrots and cut them into quarter inch rounds.)
- 5 large russet potatoes peeled (or not) and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 28 oz. can of whole plum tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning or Oregano
- 3 cups beef broth, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2. Pour the can of tomatoes into a crock pot and mash them with the back of a large spoon or fork to break them up.
3. Add onions, carrots, and potatoes.
4. Sprinkle Italian seasoning or Oregano over the vegetables and then add the beef and all drippings from the skillet.
5. Pour 2 1/2 cups of beef broth over the beef and vegetables. Stir it all together.
6. Add bay leaves
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
About 20 minutes before serving, add salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and the remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth until smooth. Stir into stew. Replace the cover and cook until thickened. Remove bay leaves before serving.