November 17, 2014

My Thanksgiving Table

Thanksgiving used to be a big affairlots of family, lots of people. But our extended families now have families of their own so we're all more likely to stick closer to home these days. But just because I'm not cooking for a large crowd doesn't mean I skimp on the details.

My Thanksgiving menu still includes all of our favorite dishes, but my table decorations change from year to year. Some tablescapes are more colorful than others, some more traditional, like this one. I found my Spode Celebration plates a few years back at TJ Maxx. I love my brown and white turkeys. I layered them on top of plain white (find similar here) dinner plates that rested on top of rattan chargers (find similar here). My glassware is antiqued pressed glass circa Victorian era and courtesy of my mother. As for the centerpiece, I brought in one of my iron urns from the porch and surrounded it with an autumnal wreath and filled it with faux greens, stalks, and leaves. I threw in a few jack-be-little pumpkins for color. Scattered about, you'll find a gold and white china jewelry holder I use as a salt cellar and more antique glass vessels for sides and snacks.

I honestly don't know what I'm planning this year. That's the fun of creating something from nothing. Take stock in what you already own. Look to your local grocery store for inspiration. Hazelnuts can be used to hold candles or as filler with other greens. Hardy fruits and vegetables can be mixed with flowers and herbs. Don't be afraid to mix and match china, silver, and glassware. Use a fabric remnant (like I do) as a tablecloth. Grab some quilting squares in different patterns and colors and use them as napkins, just hem the edges. Candles cost less than a dollar, and candlesticks can be used to hold mini pumpkins or gourds.

0 comments: