December 17, 2015

It's Just Not the Holidays Without...

I recently asked some BL readers to answer this question and this is what I received in response...

Snow! I know most of the country doesn't see snow for Christmas, but I just can't imagine there not being some fluffy white stuff on the ground. Here in the Northeast, we've got about a 50/50 chance of seeing snow, so if I think it's going to be a dud, I head north! - Susan

Cutting down our own Christmas tree. Growing up, I had an artificial tree. I vowed as soon as I got my own place I was buying a real tree and I have had once ever since. After I got married, my husband and I decided to take it one step further and cut down our own. Now we make a day of it. If it's not too cold, I'll plan a picnic. And we always play hide and seek. - Corey

Volunteering at a soup kitchen. Each year I help feed hundreds of people at our local community center, which is part of our church. The feast is usually scheduled for the week before, but some of us have banded together to open up the church hall on Christmas day and serve as many people as we can. We get local donations, but most of the food is homemade. - Karen

Movies and music! Yes, I'm one of those annoying people who's happy Jingle Bells is playing on the radio the day after Halloween. If you ride in my car you cannot change the channel. I play carols in the house as much as my family will tolerate. And I watch every sappy holiday movie the Hallmark Channel wants to air along with my stacks of CDs. Every day is Christmas! (I recently complained to a restaurant how un-holidayish it was not to play seasonal music. The look I received was priceless. And I'm not going back to the restaurant!) - Jamie

Lighting the Menorah as a family. Even if that means we do it over the phone. My mother, brother and I have spent many years apart, so we decided we would each light our candles at the same time each day (usually in the evening, but once in the morning because my brother had to catch a flight). We now record the phone call and our individual lightings and share. It's so simple, yet incredibly important to us all. - Shira

Hanging with my girls. My friends and I have a weekly secret Santa. However, we don't exchange gifts, we spend time with one another. It doesn't matter if we have 30 minutes or 3 hours, the person in charge has to pick and choose the location and activity. And it doesn't need to be expensive either. One friend picked us all up and then we parked in a beautiful location as she passed around a thermos of hot chocolate and some cookies. We talked, laughed, and ate our way through the hour we had to spare. - Fiona

So what holiday tradition or activity do you hold dear?  

4 comments:

Sara said...

I have a teddy bear tea with my little ones (who are really not so little anymore). We use the same tiny tea set they got when they were younger, place the bears in position, and eat cookies and mini muffins. We have to wear something festive even if it's just a bow on the bears or a sparkly garland crown. Music is playing softly in the background when we let the world slip away for just a while and enjoy.
Sara

Anonymous said...

Decorating the tree together as a family is a big one in our house. I used to care exactly where the ornaments were placed, but I decided long ago that it really doesn't matter.

I love the girlfriend idea. I works all year long too!

Deidra

Anonymous said...

I buy an ornament for each member of my family every year. I'm careful to date the box and add a note and/or date the ornament itself. To me, it doesn't matter what faith you are. Ornaments, like blown glass bulbs, can be hung from anywhere at any time of year. - Sammy

Anonymous said...

Cookies! Lots and lots of cookies.

Great ideas!