January 25, 2010

Coffee vs. Coffee vs. Tea

When it comes to a regular old cup of coffee (a little cream, no sugar thank you), I’m a dunkie’s girl. But, there are times when I will brace the long lines behind the caffeine junkies at my not-so-local Starbucks, only to snicker and stare.

If you’ve ever heard a heckler in line, it was probably me. I can’t help but make some snide remark about what I’m actually about to do. It takes a lot of willpower for me not to break out into song. And if I’m with my BFF – watch out. She’s addicted, so I get to make fun of both her and her dealer.

“The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino.” – Joe Fox in ‘You’ve Got Mail’.

If I want a really good cup of coffee – or better yet, a cappuccino – I’ll head over to the North End and indulge in the creamy deliciousness they serve at Cafe Vittoria. Their cappuccino* is an elixir of the gods. It’s rich, never bitter, and topped with the perfect amount of foam and a dusting of cocoa. It’s so good you’ll want to lick your cup clean.

Coffee gets me going in the morning - especially on Monday mornings. But tea... well tea is meant to be sipped and savored. I may have a cup in the afternoon as a treat, and if I’m lucky, with someone else. In the evening, I will make a cup of peppermint tea with a splash of milk and a little honey. Try it, you’ll love it.

*Cappuccino scuro - dark or dry cappuccino is made with less milk and more foam.
Dunkie’s = Dunkin’ Doughnuts

0 comments: