November 26, 2013

The Day Before the Day Before Thanksgiving

As I was pulling out my worn Betty Crocker cookbook today, I was reminded of all of the holiday meals I have made over the years. The proof is in the pages. Some are covered in smudges of flour and bits of apple. Some pages are dog-eared for quick reference. The cookbook itself brings back memories of my wedding shower when gifts like this were considered essential for a new bride.

Today I am making pumpkin bread and an apple pie. The kitchen table is covered with papers and study supplies, not my Thanksgiving centerpiece or serving bowls. I have a class next week and I'm trying to get everything over to the studio before daughter #1 makes it home from college. I don't think I'm going to make it. My youngest daughter has been home all week helping at the food pantry where she was needed much more than around here. I'm taking a deep breath as I write this. I know it will all get done, it always does.
This cookbook was a gift from my great Aunt Eleanor who is still with us. The drawing is courtesy of my son who on that particular day was helping me cook. At least he was working with autumnal colors.

Tags: holidays, thanksgiving, tradition, family

0 comments: