January 1, 2015

10 Things to do in January

January 1st! Another year has come and gone and like all of the rest of them, I'm still in awe of how time quickly passes us by. I wish you well in 2015. May it be a year filled with possibilities, good health, good luck, and great happiness!

1. Set goals, not resolutions. I know this is almost the same thing, but resolutions seem so difficult to keep that we get discouraged the minute what we've resolved to do never comes to fruition. Goals can be large or small, but start out small so you're able to achieve what you've set out to do.

2. Be realistic. Now that you've put yourself out there, it's a good idea to make sure that whatever you're trying to achieve can be just that. For instance, if you want to lose weight, shedding a pound every other week is much more realistic than trying to lose a said number of pounds. Or better yet, forget numbers and opt to eat better and move more. The pounds will come off regardless.

3. Take care of yourself. Your physical and mental health should be of the utmost importance. You can't take care of anyone else if you're not taking care of yourself first. Regardless of weight loss or gain, eating well and exercising regularly will help reduce stress and keep you feeling centered.

4. Take joy in simple pleasures. The holidays can leave us feeling a bit let down once the fanfare is all over. I get the holiday blues every year no matter how hard I try not to. So instead of dwelling on what's past, I try (and I stress the word try here because it's not always easy) to live in the moment. I also try to find pleasure in the simplest things....things that don't cost money or cost me anything but time I'm willing to give.

5. Do with less. I feel this goes hand in hand with enjoying simple pleasures. I am as guilty as the next person when it comes to wanting more of something until I realize that getting it isn't going to make me feel better. When I find something I truly enjoy or need, I buy two so I'm never disappointed when something goes out of fashion or they don't make a particular brand any longer. I've pared down my wardrobe, my make-up routine, and my overall day to day needs.

6. Quality over quantity. Are you sensing a theme here? I would rather save my pennies for something special than take short-lived pleasure in something that is destined for a brief shelf life.

7. Be true to yourself. You are the only you out there--be proud of that. Learn to follow your own path and stop standing behind others. Be seen, be heard, be you.

8. Be kind. Nothing can replace a kind word or gesture. Be that person. We are all guilty of grumbling from time to time, rushing through the most mundane tasks, and taking the people we love for granted. Take a moment and a deep breath. Choose to be kind--always.

9. Let it go. If there's something that's been on your mind or bothering you to no end, it's time to let it go. That goes for people, too. There's no room in your life for people who take advantage of you or make you feel bad in any way. Now is the time to cut all of the negativity out of your life.

10. Dream big. Just because you take baby steps doesn't mean you can't set one lofty goal for yourself this year. What's the one thing that you've been meaning to do in your lifetime. Yes, your lifetime. It make take some time, but you have to start somewhere, some day, why not today?

My word for 2015 is TRY.

I'll unveil a new series and my "dream big" goal for 2015 next week.

Happy New Year!

0 comments: