August 20, 2015

Old Habits Die Hard

Some habits we hold onto forever, and some come and go. I love reading. I love writing. And each day I will dedicate time to do both in some form or fashion. When I was away on vacation, Every night I would climb into bed around 10:00 and curl up with a good book. I would write in my journal at least every other day documenting what we did. Since then, I have yet to pick up a book unless it was to read a title, and my journal is tossed in basket in my office. 

Life has been extremely busy since we returned, but I miss the ritual of putting pen to paper and turning pages. When searching for photographs for this post, I was reminded of all the times I would pull a book or notebook out of my purse wherever I happened to be... while I was waiting for an appointment, sitting on a park bench in the middle of the city, or while I was in my car waiting to pick my girls up from school. 

Sometimes I get into a reading slump. I'll walk into a bookstore and feel overwhelmed by the titles and leave without a thing. A very rare occurrence for me. 

So what habit have you let die, or at least let go of for a time? 

And what are you reading?

P.S. You might also like posts under the old heading reading & writing.

Photo: Paul Bence

10 comments:

Carol said...

I had a morning ritual I adored. I would get up at least an hour before everyone in the house and just read inspiring quotes while enjoying a delicious cup of coffee. These days, I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes. After a very busy summer and staying up later than usual, I'm going to go back to my routine after the kids start school because it makes me feel ready to tackle the day. Great post!

Susan said...

I eat the same breakfast every morning. I don't know if this is weird or not, but it just makes me feel good. :) - Susan

Sharon said...

Dinner each night by candlelight. It doesn't matter if we're eating off paper plates!

Carrie said...

I'm also an avid reader and I've gone months without reading a book. I'm not exactly sure. Maybe because I read so much it was too much, even though I enjoy it. When I'm back into my usual routine I feel better. Book recommendations: Too Many Candles, Plenty of Cake, Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train. Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Before I go to sleep at night I make myself a big mug of peppermint tea with milk. Sometimes I'll add a little honey too. It's my version of a low calorie dessert and helps me relax. Love your blog.
Callie

Anonymous said...

Well, I've given up a lot of bad habits so that's a good thing. The one good habit I've adopted is to move more. I try to exercise at least four times a week. I can go weeks and then all of a sudden I'll stop. It's frustrating because I feel like I'm starting at ground zero again, but I keep at it.

Anonymous said...

I take my dogs for a walk every night. It gets them outside and we all get exercise. I don't live in snow country so I'm able to do this all year long and I love it.
Kerri

Julie said...

I use to take a nightly walk to the cafe on the corner for a cup of tea or a biscuit. It's been months since I've done that due to the new demands on my job. Your post reminded me just how much I miss it. I've decided I'm going seek out a place close to work and treat myself during the day until my schedule resumes. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

I love my daily swim. Nothing feels better to me than being in the water.

Kimberly Merritt said...

So many great comments and an excellent collection of great habits/rituals. For those of you who have let something they love go, get it back. I've just ordered some new books and I've promised myself that the journal makes a comeback this week!

Thank you all for reading and commenting.